Dislodged Teeth

If you experience a dislodged or dislocated tooth during an injury, you should see a dentist or endodontist as soon as possible to stabilize the tooth. A tooth that has been partially pushed into or out of its socket, or sideways, almost always requires root canal treatment that should be started a few days following the injury. To avoid infection, medication may be placed inside the tooth as part of the procedure and you will be carefully monitored while you heal so that your specialist can intervene immediately if you aren’t healing correctly.

Children ages 12 and under may not need root canal treatment for this type of tooth injury, since their teeth are still developing. New research indicates that stem cells present in the pulps of their teeth can be stimulated to complete root growth and heal the pulp following such injuries or infections. In this instance, your endodontist will discuss potential regenerative treatment options available for your child.




Original Article Here.

Reprinted with permission of the AAE. Copyright © 2017 American Association of Endodontists. All Rights Reserved.